4th of July - Happy Independence Day!
A fun flag to show off your patriotism and an easy reuse project to celebrate the holiday!
No-Waste New Year's!
Happy New Year! This is the year to make a resolution you can keep: a no-waste new year's resolution. This year, pledge to do whatever you can to reduce the amount of waste you produce. No matter how big or small the decision at hand, keep it top-of-mind to ask yourself what impact your decisions have on your no-waste 2010.
A no-waste new year's resolution will have you making better choices regarding minimizing waste. Here are a few ideas:
• Get your name off of junk mail lists. Each year, the average household in the U.S. receives more than 40 lbs. of unwanted, unsolicited mail. Many find junk mail to be a real pain, but it's sometimes hard to know who to contact to remove your name from a list. Rethink Recycling has compiled resources for getting your name off lists of major marketers, credit companies, and how to register with the Direct Marketing Association's Mail Preference Service. Click here for information on removing your name from lists.
• Pack a no-waste lunch. Another easy "be green, save green" tip. Use a reusable lunch bag and reusable containers instead of plastic bags or disposable containers-and of course, a cloth napkin.
• Use a reusable mug. Instead of using a Styrofoam or paper cup from the coffee shop, bring in your own mug. Also, bring a water bottle to refill; you'll save money and reduce waste.
• Carry a reusable bag. Have one with you to eliminate the need for a paper or plastic one.
• Look for less packaging and avoid disposables. This one's big- nearly 30 percent of our trash is packaging. Much of this is cardboard, which can be recycled, but why use the resources on recycling when we didn't need that packaging in the first place? When you're at the store, buy in bulk and bring reusable bags to carry your purchases in. Choose less-packaged products over individually wrapped items.
Calculate your environmental impact
Curious as to what your carbon footprint is? Interested in how much recycling and other daily decisions impact the environment? Click "Tools" to access some fun ways to calculate your impact!
The shopping trip
Take some time to think about the environmental effects of your shopping this year. Where possible, make changes to help protect the environment.
Summer fun with a tire swing. Learn how to hang a tire for instant fun! Remember to drill a few holes in the bottom so it will drain well.
Going Green for St Pat's Dress up a collection of pretty green glass bottles by wrapping them with copper wire. Use your imagination to create designs that suit your fancy. Twist copper craft or jeweler's wire (available at crafts stores) into net patterns. Or wrap wire around the middle of a bottle, secure in the back, and form a button-like knot in front by twisting a short length of wire around the bands.
Earth Day - It's right around the corner!
10 Ways to Mark Earth Day at Your Company
EARTH MONTH is April. Share ideas of how you celebrate Earth Day with your family or co-workers. The best ideas will be published in April!